Friday, November 6, 2020

The Savior Complex

As I grow older, I have seen more and more people who feed off of this 'savior complex' (I just googled this term, and it's an actual psychological term). That they constantly put themselves in this position to "save" others who in fact just need temporary help, only see them in this permanent position of lack. Therefore, the "savior" can feel a sense of purpose within themselves by feeding off this persons' supposed sense of "need." And this is a false sense of self and worth, only creating a type of jail cell for the one they think they are "helping." It is in fact, the self-proclaimed "savior" who is in need of help. 

So.... if you all could.... Just. Stop. 

The way I see it, these self-proclaimed "saviors" have a lack of self and identity. They feel worthless if they are not putting themselves in this false sense of superiority. It is not natural for humans to constantly need help by another, except for perhaps in the first stages of life, as any child needs, or perhaps someone with a disability. But even with that, independence and self-reliance is obtainable. There are times, yes, but it is not a consistent need that one person can provide. These "saviors" are constantly looking to save others not to actually help someone to their feet and to independence, but to continue this false sense of "needing" and dependence from the other, for the "saviors" own sense of self-worthiness. So what does this say about these people's sense of self? 

I have learned that this "savior complex" comes from people who are just as lost, and feel that if they are helping a "helpless" person, they will always be seeing themselves in this sense of superiority, which is truly false. It is a kind of reverse psychology that, the one who thinks they are "saving" is actually the one needing to be saved.  



No comments:

Post a Comment