Saturday, February 6, 2021

Schadenfreude

It means....


"... the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another... 

Schadenfreude is a complex emotion where, rather than feeling sympathy, one takes pleasure from watching someone's misfortune."


It literally translates to... "harm-joy."


I came across this "Schadenfreude" with someone this evening, first hand, when I was just minding my own business, trying to improve myself and skill-- and was so affected emotionally by that persons' lack of human decency thereafter. But what is even more sad than that is this: that this happens to so many people more than we think-- all, the, time.

So out of what, low self-esteem? Insecurity? Jealousy? I feel those things all the time, but for some lucky reason for me, I don't get to the point of Schadenfreude. 

I just want to live a happy, healthy, life. How can one go through life feeling 'good' from seeing others misfortune?


All I can say in response to that is this:

If that person is you...

You have not truly lived, my friend. You have not truly lived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment